Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Natural Dyes for Ostara (Easter) Eggs
There’s several ingredients in your kitchen that you can choose from. Here’s a small list of suggestions to get you started.
• Beet juice will give you a lovely shade of magenta. You can juice a raw beet or drain the liquid from a can of beets.
• Turmeric gives a golden yellow color to your eggs.
• Chlorophyll drops (which can be purchased at any health food store) will turn the eggs a deep shade of forest green. You can also juice any green leafy vegetable and achieve a similar result. Experiment to get the shade of green you want.
• Carrot juice will give a pale peach color
• Coffee will produce a soft brown color
• Blueberry juice will give a violet color
Adding vinegar to these colors and bringing the mixture to a boil will help the colors adhere to the eggs better. The longer the eggs sit in the color mixture the bolder the color will be. Remember, that these colors will not be a vivid as those of the store bought food colorings, but hey Ostara is all about the pastels anyway. Happy Coloring!