Monday, June 7, 2010

School's Out or Is It?

School is finally out for summer. When you homeschool does school ever officially end though? Do you just say "okay, no more learning, let's just drop it for two and a half to three months and pick it back up in the Fall?" Learning doesn't end even during the summer. Being the primary educator of my 7 almost 8 year-old, I have to be aware of the fact that I am still the teacher and it's hard to break out of that "teacher" mode.


Is it just me or does going to the hardware store or any store for that matter (as a homeschooler) to pick out new faucets, light bulbs, etc., turn into a field trip where the faucet purchase turns into a discussion on the water cycle and the importance of conserving water? Buying a single light bulb leads into a discussion on Edison and Tesla which turns into a trip to the library and an Internet search on the two men and their contributions to society? You get my point. I'm not complaining, but am I the only one who does this? Just found it odd that I am walking through Lowes with the hubby and kid discussing Nikola Tesla, Tesla coils, HAARP, wireless technology and AC current all because we needed to change the light bulb in the hall closet at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment